Re: HV Measurement - A different Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:32:20 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Measurement - A different Divider Problem

I already have a Fluke 40VDC / 8KVAC HV divider probe.

  For years, I've toyed with the idea of building a divider for much,
much higher voltages and much lower currents, for example, directly
measuring the voltage of a Van de Graaff or maybe even a Tesla coil!

  I know the issues are non-trivial.

  To that end, I've acquired a dozen or so 9900 Megohm carbon film
resistors, about 6" long each.  The film is spiral wound, and the
diameter of the resistors is about 1/2", so they are clearly inductive.
  Might present a limited bandwidth. I might have to give up on the idea
of measuring RF voltages, but that's okay.

  Has anyone built a divider specifically intended for direct
measurement of very low current, very high voltage, high frequency
voltage?

  I know about field mill generators and field antennas like Terry uses,
but that's a solved problem, I'm trying to do something different just
because it's different.  :)

  - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux,
	Denver, Colorado

What Would Tesla Do?