RE: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:01:13 -0500
From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

Some variations on a theme:

I have also used a 2 Meg rotary  potentiometer from an old scrap
oscilloscope instead of the 1.2 Meg low end resistor for extremely
precise calibration of the divider, then read the resistance across that
side of the pot and built a series chain of 1/4 watt carbons to give the
same resistance.

Mouser now also has a 1 GigOhm Ohmite SLIMOX 2Watt in stock for the
exact same price ($4.20).  Coupling with a 12 Meg low end resistor or
chain thereof allows DMM to read directly in Kilovolts.

Finally, this all good up to about 15 kV.  The 6 to 10 Watt 40 to 80 KV
capable resistors are available but I find them all in the $20-$30
range, making the project costly enough to warrant just buying a HiVolt
AC/DC probe for about $100.00.

If anyone knows of a cheaper source, I'd like to know.

Carl Litton
901-374-5747