Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:32:09 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

Peter Terren wrote:
If you had an open circuit in the chain, then this would explain all your
readings and the demise of your meter.
Was it a 50Hz supply or a flyback because the spiky nature of the latter
will give low rms or standard voltage readings despite the high peak
readings (which is what blows the meter).

Seems like the problem was my failure to take the meter input impedance into
account.

For the record, the supply was a TV horizontal drive transformer (*not* the line
out transformer) wired backwards and feeding a three-stage Cockroft-Walton
multiplier, charging a 250nF/5kVwkg capacitor.

I was actually testing the capacitor, to see how long it held its charge after I
turned the supply off.  The answer, before that fateful bang, was very quickly.
  I should have used my electrostatic meter as the 330M of the divider seemed to
make a rather good bleeder resistor...

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith