Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:53:00 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

"Just built one myself.  It works perfectly to give 1/100 reading AC or
DC.  Only 2 cheap resistors needed.  On a $30.00 DMM, I've measured up
to 15 kV so far and regularly 2 to 8 kV with MOT voltage double/tripler
experiments without incident.   Less than $5.00 invested.

1 Ohmite SLIMOX 100Meg thick film 2 Watt 15 kV (Mouser $4.20) + 1 single
1.2 Meg resistor of any type (1/4Watt is fine as current will be in
micro amperes) - can also take several smaller resistors in series to
give 1.2 Meg and treat them as a single resistor.

Solder both resistors in series.  Connect high end of circuit to the
free end of the 100 Meg Ohmite and the opposite end to ground.  Place
DMM leads  - one between the the two resistors and on the low (ground)
end.

Reading on DMM is multiplied by 100 to give exact voltage.

Carl Litton"

	I'd be inclined to add a small, low-leakage capacitor (0.01ufd
polystyrene?) across the meter "just because".

Ed