Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:00:15 -0500
From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

Another thing to keep in mind when your measuring really high voltages is
leakage through the air.  Having the sides of the resistors close to
eachother or the leads going to the HV source being close to the body of the
resistors can cause false/ low readings.  What I've done in the past with
500 Mohm resistors was to attach them the a plastic rod and string them
together in a line along the plastic rod.  That way you eliminate leakage
through the air.  Also keep the HV wires away from the rod and resistors and
mount the rod vertical in the air.  I accuratly measured 100 Kv dc this way.

Shaun Epp