Re: Marx generator (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:28:07 +0200
From: herwig.roscher@xxxxxx
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx generator (fwd)

Dr. Resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Each diode string has to be rated at 2.8 for peak reverse voltage.

Usually I use a factor of 3.5 and for this application three diodes
out of microwave ovens per leg should be sufficient. AFAIK they have
kind of avalanche characteristic and parallelling them with resistors
should be unnecessary despite they are not manufactured in the same
production lot. ok?

> Be sure to use an inductance in series with the output and a resistor
> plus inductor on the charging power supply in case the unit "prefires"
> while charging.  This happens when you are setting up your initial
> sparkgap settings.

> The diodes were a string in series and then inserted into a teflon
> tube --- open on each end for ventilation.  Resistors were 2 watt
> units at 5 kV.

Very useful hints! Thank you. Which resistance should I choose?

Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil!