Re: Is HVLIST still operating? (fwd)

Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:59:25 -0400
From: Mike <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is HVLIST still operating? (fwd)

Hi Pete,
                Yes there is interesting activity with the  lightning.
One of the people I work with went to a conference in February
being held by the Sprite community. It seems that the satellites,
both US and the Russian birds, were also picking up Gamma ray bursts
but only from Cloud to Cloud strikes. The bursts never get detected if it is
a cloud to ground strike and they know this because the Schumann cavity
global lightning detection / location stations are picking up the ground
strikes
with current numbers, just fine.
The projected location of the Gamma radiation bursts is 15 Km in altitude.
So beside X-ray, you also have Gamma ray. Both are time matching
optical detected lightning flashes.
If you get a heavy current and Birkeland currents, if the Birkeland currents
cross, you can get Z pinch and the (at least ) X-ray bursts.
I did not read the S/A article but knew about this from a friend that was
called to the meeting.
Regards,
Mike