Re: Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch) ignition coil (fwd)

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:08:28 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch)  ignition coil
    (fwd)

At 01:07 PM 8/17/2005, you wrote:
>Original poster: <sroys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wonder what the likely failure mode would be?

Internal short in the HV winding most likely.  The primary (LV) winding is
pretty rugged.  However the HV winding is really, really fine wire (smaller
than AWG40, I'd guess).

They'll take a fair amount of overheating, too.  After all, they normally
run in a 50-60C environment.  The average current is probably around 2.5A,
and the loss resistance is around 0.5 to 1 ohm, corresponding to a thermal
dissipation of 5 Watts.

In normal operation, they fire 100 mJ/spark, and in a V-8 at 6000 RPM,
there's 400 sparks/second, for 40W total throughput.