Re: Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch) ignition coil (fwd)

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:39:51 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch) ignition coil
    (fwd)

D.C. Cox wrote:

> I have used 650 VDC with a 1.5 uF cap in a single shot pulse mode ---
> repeated once every 5 seconds.

Well, from what everyone's saying, I think I'll just wire it up as it
is, put on my safety glasses and see what happens!

Think I'll move the tractor out of the shed at the weekend and do it in
there - less risk from shrapnel damage than in my office!

I'll keep the gap down to about an inch, and am only using three
capacitors (900V), as I'm not that well appointed with solid state
relays - especially when they might get cooked.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll report back.  I already know that the
charging circuit works a treat (below, for info).

Cheers

Matthew Smith

 --------+------+------- +300V
 |       |      |      |
KPF      V      V      V
OHL      -      -      -
DOA      +--+   +--+   +---C HV+ (900V)
KOH     ___ o  ___ o  ___
 |    ---+  o---|  o---|       Spark gaps ( --oo-- )
 |    |  V      V      V       actually solid state
 |    C  -      -      -       relays.