Re: Xenon Short Arc Igniter Help? (fwd)

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:28:37 -0500
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Xenon Short Arc Igniter Help? (fwd)

>Original poster: <sroys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robert,

I think we are discussing two different beasts here.  This is a
typical xenon short arc lamp, not a flash lamp.  It has two main
electrodes, with no trigger electrode or external trigger wire.
Certainly similar to a flashlamp in many regards, but the hv trigger
pulse basically has to travel the same path as the sustaining
current.  According to what I've read, after the trigger creates an
ionized path an intermediate supply dumps a capacitor charge across
the gap to initiate the arc (like a strobe).  Then the low voltage
supply (20 volts at 40 amps in this case) can sustain the arc on its
own.  Sort of a three stage process in getting the arc going.

Charles