Re: Solid-State Marx (fwd)

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:54:47 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Solid-State Marx (fwd)

I recently made a solid state Marx out of 3 x 250V SIDAC's, 4 photoflash
caps and 12k resistors run from 300VDC.

It wasn't that successful.  At this low voltage of about 1kV, I was not
after sparks but preferred to charge a capacitor to give a more constant DC
output. Normally the load is a spark gap which fires then disconnects itself
and presents no load until the voltage rises high enough again.
Unfortunately, using a simple resistor load to discharge the Marx capacitors
fully and rapidly and yet still present a high enough off-state resistance,
seemed incompatible.  I also need the resistive load to limit the peak SIDAC
current to 1A RMS or 100A for very brief peaks.
It did fire as expected but to turn off the SIDAC's I had to cut the input
supply briefly.

You may want to think about what you will do with the output before you
spend a lot of time designing the supply.

Peter