Re: Solid-State Marx (fwd)

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:42:16 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Solid-State Marx (fwd)

"You know, I had never actually pondered the workings of solid state
relays before and certainly didn't realise that they used a photovoltaic
device (I always assumed that gate drive was acquired from the line
somehow.)   The photovoltaic solution is certainly one way to get power
to the gates - the biggest problem in my mind"

	According to the data sheet the particular part mentioned in the AD
(HT04) has very long rise and fall times, more nearly milliseconds than
microseconds.  I can't see how they'd be useful for fast switching.  (It
would of course be neat to have such a device with rise and fall times
of the order of a microsecond.)

Ed