Re: Marx spark gaps (fwd)

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:02:24 +0200
From: Herwig Roscher <herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx spark gaps (fwd)

Jim, Gomez, list.

> > Consequently the gap distance of the first gap should be about .27",
> > that of the second gap about .54", that of the third gap about .81"
> > and so on.

> That is simply not true, and I have never heard of that practice
> before now.

"The Firing Probability of Coupling Spark Gaps of the Multiplying
Circuit according to Marx" by A. Rodewald, Basel clearly proofes that
Marx generators with *capacitive and resistive loads" behave like
mentioned above. However the generators without load, as we usually
build, behave different and have to have nearly equal spark gap
distances. Or did I interpret this article wrong?

>   Another important trick is that the gaps be so arranged that the
> spheres do not "shadow" the UV light radiated from each gap to the
> next, and in as close proximity as physically possible without chance
> of flashover.
This effect was also investigated by the author. Figures are
provided.

>  That is a good document, but a little more erudite than is necessary
> for most amateur Marx bank builders.
I just wanted to give an information to curious amateur builders who
are interested in technical backgrounds.

Bye		Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil !