Re: MMC cap preferences? Foil/Film thing... (fwd)

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:01:19 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MMC cap preferences? Foil/Film thing...

At 10:38 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

>   Hmm, Ross Overstreet says metallized film is better than metal foil
>due to its "self healing" properties.  You and Terry say that metal
>foil is better due to increased current capability.
>
>So, who's right, or is this one of those religious arguments that may
>never be settled?

It's all cool ;-))

Metal "foil" caps have a center floating plate that is still metalized film
and still takes care of the self healing thing.  Even the foil caps still
have a metalized film layer.  I always call them "foil" so there are no
mistakes!!

The problem with the "all" or "fully" metalized film caps where all the
layers are 1/1000000 inch metal film is that they cannot reliably connect
the metal film to the end plates.  The film to end plate connection is a
very weak spot and they fail there under high current.  Using "foil"
(500/1000000 inch thick) plates in that area solves the problem completely.

For high pulse current high dI/dT stuff, you definitely want to spend a
little extra on the metal foil caps.  They can easily take "insane"
currents without failure where the metalized caps barely meet their
specs...  The only advantage the metalized caps have is that they are
cheaper and have higher values/volume.

A few people have gotten metalized caps to work with Tesla coils but the
caps are not very stressed in those specific coils.  There are many sad
tails of the all metalized film caps burning up, but very few people have
managed to destroy the metal foil caps.

The big Cornell Dubilier 942 series (NOT "940") caps are very popular, well
known, and tested and have good data sheets that can be trusted.  Rell.com
sells them with a minimum order of about $75 and DC Cox may be able to
supply them now too from Resonance Research, but he just got past a bad
illness so not sure he is up to it yet.

Newark probably sells them too but you tend to pay a lot more there...

I usually try to have about 30 CD 942 caps laying around here to grab as
needed.  They never seem to stay around long!!  There is no reason to use
other caps unless you already have some other known good type or got a good
salvage deal on some other type.  But you are on your own in that
case...  There is a list of known good and bad caps at:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/good-bad.txt

Everyone uses these caps at there "DC rating" for Tesla coils too with no
problem at all.  For Tesla coil use, the ~630VAC rating can be
ignored.  I"" often use them at %150 voltage with no problem to save a few
bucks too...

Cheers,

         Terry