Re: MMC cap preferences? (fwd)

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:16:05 -0600
From: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MMC cap preferences? (fwd)

>   Hmm, Ross Overstreet says metallized film is better than metal foil
> due to its "self healing" properties.  You and Terry say that metal
> foil is better due to increased current capability.
>
> So, who's right, or is this one of those religious arguments that may
> never be settled?

Metal foil caps do also contain metalized film!!  The capacitor is
made up of 2 dialectrics in series (sorta like 2 caps in series).  The
foil caps have: foil - PP - metalized PP - PP - foil.  In the event of
a failure, the metalized part is totally blasted away, and the cap is
fine again.

I also personally have had much success with the CDE caps on all of my coils.

Steve Ward.