Interesting Power Supply (fwd)

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:42:29 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Interesting Power Supply

Greetings

I acquired a "90kV" power supply from eBay some time ago; the supply
consists of a PCB and a voltage multiplier unit.

The PCB has a pin-stip connector at one end and connections to the
multipler.  An SG3524 drives a power transistor of some description that
drives a "flyback" style transformer, perhaps quarter the size of a TV
LOPT.  The transformer has a turns ratio (calculated by impedance
ratio)* of 1:258.

The multiplier has three connections - A (I think ground), U~ (from the
flyback) and M.  M (or it may be A - I forgot to note which connected to
which) goes to a potential divider on the PCB which drives an op-amp - I
assume that this is a feedback loop to the SG3524.  Multiplier is
identified BG1971-000-6060.  Both multiplier and board are stamped with
an "ERO" logo.  Writing is in German, but I can't get a response from
www.ero.de...

One distintive feature of the multiplier (potted green lump) is the 8
inch long fibreglass tube protruding from it; this shrouds the output
terminal which is right at the bottom of the tube - makes me wonder
whether if this thing really is supposed to put out 90kV.

Powering the board with 24V (pins identified by supply pins of SG3524)
did nothing - there were probably enable pins and goodness knows what.
I scrapped the board and decided to make up my own, simple controller.

Assuming oodles of losses, I'm guessing that the transformer will be
putting out 4.8kV at a fairly miniscule current due to the tiny core size.

I have powered the multiplier with about 3kV from another flyback setup,
with a metal rod in the multiplier tube, poking out just over the top.
It made my hair stand on end (and there's a lot of it) and bits of dust
and rubbish fly all over my desk.

QUESTIONS:

1) Has anyone come across anything like this or could hazard a guess as
to its origins?

2) I don't know what sort of diodes they use in these multipliers; I've
got some little integrated switchers I could use to drive it, but they
work at 100kHz.  Would this be excessive?  (If so, I'll just run it at
40kHz, using the original SG3524.)

I think I'll case it, with the tube coming out on top, with a drawer
pull as an electrode.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith