RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole transformer). (fwd)

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:47:19 -0700
From: Brian <brianb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole
    transformer). (fwd)

Aaron,

A couple "cracker box" arc welders work great (like the Lincoln 225's)!
I've parallel them for BIG Jacobs Ladders and they work great. A pair of
new ones with free shipping can be had for under $600.00
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000013.htm  and they are always
offered on the used market in the $100.00 range. That will get you into
the 22kva range.

BTW - Where are you going to get the 240amps (@220vac) to run at 30kva?

Regards,
Brian B.
www.brianb.org
www.teslacoil.com (go to the equipment section, Jacobs Ladders, then
click on "Theater" to see them performing at half power. Long story but
basically the Fire Marshall said "You aren't running anything at 100%,
run them at 50% or don't run them at all", and this was before they were
even turned on for the first time...