RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole transformer). (fwd)

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 22:00:35 -0500
From: Godfrey Loudner <ggreen@xxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole
    transformer). (fwd)

Hello Aaron

In series, you'll get too much voltage drop. I would try putting some in
parallel for less resistance. But anyway, you'll be expending energy
heating the elements that you would rather see in the arc. I think using
a resistive ballast is unacceptable. You need an inductive ballast at
your desired power level. If you got there, you will need carbon rods
for the arc to climb on. Can you get 125 amperes from your service box?
Anyway, the arcs would be scary!

Godfrey Loudner