Re: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole transformer). (fwd)

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:05:40 -0400
From: Mike <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole
    transformer). (fwd)

You could probably pull the full 200A if you do it at night when demand
drops for the other houses and you shut off everything else. If I were doing
something like this I'd just rent a generator and get a bank of parallel
x-ray trannies for some monster 125kv arcs (much easier to adjust the bottom
gap when it's 10-12"). Most of the x-ray transformers I've seen are good for
10 kVA each without them heating too much (37.5 kVA for a few seconds, tho I
find that hard to believe with the core/coils weighing only 80-100 lbs,
guess that why they have 30+ gallons of oil).

Mike