RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole transformer). (fwd)

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole
    transformer). (fwd)

I've done the "two 500-ft rolls" trick for a while now
to get nice 10kVA arcs, but I've got a 15kVA pig and
I'm picking up a 50kVA one next month, so I want
more!!! :D  The spools do heat up after a minute or
two, though; not surprising because they're
dissipating 2.4kW of power (1.5 ohms DC resistance at
around 40A). It's also amusing to "plug them in" by
themselves (no pig in series) and listen to them buzz
ominously :)  The power factor of my house must be
awful these days :D  Unfortunately, just throwing the
switch on this arrangement is probably quite hard on
the insulation of the pig, and also makes the lights
dim throughout my house (I have an oil-immersed 200A
contactor).  It would probably be better to step
things up slowly, and 10kVA increments are probably
too coarse, particularly when the ballast is primarily
inductive.  I could use many such spools in various
series/parallel arrangements with relays, though.
...but these spools are more expensive than MOTs on
eBay, lest we forget why I originally posted this
query:  Because I'm cheap :D

73,
Aaron, N7OE