Re: Cockroft Walton Voltage Multiplier (fwd)

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:44:56 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cockroft Walton Voltage Multiplier (fwd)

At 08:10 AM 9/26/2005, High Voltage list wrote:
>Original poster: <sroys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yep.. I've done it.

Draw a circuit diagram of a few stages, then put a short from top to
ground. Note that the current from all those capacitors goes through the
diodes, with only the parasitic L and series resistance of the diodes to
limit it.

I should qualify the statement: not ALL the diodes die.  Just some of
them.  I think some give up their last gasp earlier, and thereby save the rest.

>If this is true,why is that,  and is it possible to add current limiting
>resistors to the design, to avoid blowing the diodes.

Sure.. depends on the regulation you want.  Putting a R in series with the
diode burns a bit of energy,  so the voltage will drop faster with load,
and the ripple will be higher, but CW stacks are terrible anyway.

Jim