Re: Exploding wire (fwd)

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:14:53 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Exploding wire (fwd)

At 08:33 PM 11/27/2006, High Voltage list wrote:
>Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

If you're really doing an "exploding" wire, then burning doesn't
enter into it.  It happens in microseconds.

In fact, it's when the current rises slower you get to see the
burning (which is also a very cool effect, by the way)... at some
intermediate stages, the wire melts, but doesn't vaporize.  Surface
tension makes it break into segments, which then spark over, and
start it burning, and you get something that greatly resembles fireworks.

Steel/iron burns yellow, aluminum a nice bright white, copper a greenish color.

When you explode the wire, it also gets a color cast for copper, and,
you'll get a reddish copper oxide smoke and white smoke for Aluminum
oxide, but overall, it's just a blinding flash.

However, it's the shock wave from the exploding wire that's the most
qualitatively noticable thing.