RE: Saturable Reactors (yes, again :)) (fwd)

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:58:20 -0800 (PST)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Saturable Reactors (yes, again :)) (fwd)

Problem is, most pig cores are just one big spool of
metal:

(picture of RTE 15kVA unit out of can)
http://silicon-arcana.com/tesla/rte_guts_small.jpg

But some are sort of like E-I cores because they're
two spools side-by-side:

(picture of Westinghouse 15kVA unit out of can)
http://silicon-arcana.com/tesla/small_westinghouse_guts_1.jpg

The LV side of the pig isn't really center-tapped.
Rather, there are two completely separate LV windings,
placed in series for 240V (as you can see from the
pictures above).  In 208V Y three-phase applications
where three pigs are used, the LV windings in each pig
are connected together in parallel and one LV bushing
goes unused.

In the case of the RTE above, voltage applied to any
of the windings, LV or HV, will result in voltages on
the other windings (unless you connect the LV windings
parallel opposing, which doesn't seem too useful!), so
your control circuit would have to tolerate this.  Off
hand, I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish
that would be.

With the Westinghouse above, you might be able to cut
some of the windings off, leaving enough of the HV
winding for use as a control winding, and
simultaneously giving yourself room to wind the power
windings around the outer legs.  Or vice versa.

A three-phase transformer seems easier, though.  I
know I can get my hands on a 15kVA one for $50 or so
at my local junk store, but it'll probably have an HV
of only 480 or 600.  Still, it might work.  I'll
probably try it.  If it doesn't work, I've at least
got a boat anchor :)

Aaron, N7OE