Re: "lightning machine" at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry? (fwd)

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:40:14 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "lightning machine" at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry?
    (fwd)

It was not a Cockroft-Walton circuit. It was a classic Marx impulse
generator.  I repaired it for them several times.  The original design used
HV resistors that were too small and they kept frying.  The generator was
quickly and quitely removed from service when someone discovered the caps
were filled with PCBs.  It was a 1,000,000 Volt Marx generator.

Dr. Resonance"

	Was it really safer to remove it from surface and scrap the capacitors than to leave it in place, where it was surely safe from any mechanical damage?  It may have been the "politically correct" thing to do but I can't help wondering if it was really necessary.  I also wonder how many pole pigs filled with PCB are still in service?

Ed