Re: "lightning machine" at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry? (fwd)

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:25:49 -0500
From: Dr. John W. Gudenas <comsciprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "lightning machine" at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry?
    (fwd)

Dave
I sort of grew up watching this Max generator.
First, it is not the GE device from 1939, which consisted of twin
Marx towers at opposite polarity and was substantially larger.

I saw the first demonstration while I was in elementary school in the
1950's. At that time the charging system for rather large and
consisted of using two large vacuum tube rectifiers. They would
explode a 2x4 in the demo. You could hear the machine throughout the
museum.

In the 1960's I was a senior in high school and worked week ends at
the MSI. The "surge generator" as they referred to it frequently
broke down and was a high maintenance item.

Off to college and degrees etc.

I likely saw the MSI Marx bank in its last cycle. My timing could be
off here, albeit  is in an order of magnitude.
In the 1970's sometime to early 1980's the MSI Marx bank had been
rebuilt with solid state rectifiers for the charging supply and more
modern energy storage capacitors (much smaller than originals)
were installed. I saw the demo (this time with my young family) which
was essentially the same. It was phased out sometime after that.

Forget any mystery associated with this exhibit, the MSI removed
many  exhibits and is frequently changing the museum around.  DC
indicates the energy caps had PCBs in them, perhaps
the museum board simply elected not to spend the cash to replace
them. You just need to realize that it was a museum exhibit that ran
it useful course (from the boards view). Stuff dissipates when it
gets surplused out.
This device had no historical value and I doubt it (or its pieces)
exist as there would be no reason to archive it. There are many Marx
banks in research laboratories and universities around the world.
I sit on the Board of Directors of SciTech a local hands on museum, I
kind of get some insight how these decisions are reached.
Hope this helps

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science