Re: Electrometer insulators (fwd)

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:5:22 -0800
From: David Dameron <ddameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Electrometer insulators (fwd)

Hi Peter and all,

The magnet(s) would be rotating about its axis, so the induction would
be much like unipolar, but it still makes the experiment more
difficult. The experiment was done twice in the 1970's, one measured a
charge, one did not, so it wasn't resolved, even though the 2 experiments were
not exactly the same. The underlying theory isn't totally resolved either, this
experiment may prove some predictions of Ampere or Weber, which is the theory
which predicts longitudinal forces in wires, a relation to HV
demonstrations many are familiar with.

Another series of experiments to show that the effective mass of electrons
change with their electrostatic potential, predicted by Weber, has not panned
out.

-Dave D.