Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch, (fwd)

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:27:45 -0800 (PST)
From: C. Sibley <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch,  (fwd)

With respect to charging, how large of a power supply does one need?  I'm considering two of the geek capacitors in parallel, for 14.8uF.  If I were to charge with a 60mA 15KV NST to a peak voltage of (24500V), I calculate total energy of 4500 Joules.  Assuming a .8 power factor, a 60mA 15K NST puts out about 720W.  Since "Joules" is watt*seconds, is it just as simple as dividing Joules/watts to get seconds of charging time?  With that I get just over 6 seconds, but that seems like a low number.  I assume that I'm doing something wrong, but even with a factor of 10 it's only a minute.  Is an NST a good choice for a charger, or should I look for something bigger?

Curt.