Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch, (fwd)

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 21:44:26 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV  switch,
      (fwd)

There are interesting design considerations with high current pulses.
I have two caps joined with 1 1/2 inch busbar, yet they were making big
sparks between the cases when they were fired at 5kJ. A few calculations
show why.

Consider the inductance of 20 cm of busbar compared with 60 cm wire in 3
turns of a can crushing coil (?300 nH).  Without calculating it I would
guess at the busbar being 10 % of the inductance of the coil.  So at 6 kV
across the coil (busbar) would be 600 V at perhaps 80 kA peak current. Short
that out and you will have plenty of sparks.

Good luck trying to get 20 caps to discharge in 10us. I have wire lengths of
21, 25 and 30 inches for the full short circuit discharge path.  The
resonant frequency of my 3 caps with a short circuit is 25kHz ie period of
45uS. The first rise of the half cycle is 12us but that energy gets stored
in the wire inductance and so current will lag. With 20 caps your wiring has
to be longer.
http://tesladownunder.com/CanCrushing.htm#Can%20crusher%204

Peter