Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch, (fwd)

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:46:33 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV   switch,
      (fwd)

At 01:55 PM 11/9/2006, High Voltage list wrote:
>Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

Yes.. "interesting" stuff happens with high current fast pulses.

>Good luck trying to get 20 caps to discharge in 10us. I have wire lengths of
>21, 25 and 30 inches for the full short circuit discharge path.  The
>resonant frequency of my 3 caps with a short circuit is 25kHz ie period of
>45uS. The first rise of the half cycle is 12us but that energy gets stored
>in the wire inductance and so current will lag. With 20 caps your wiring has
>to be longer.

Typically, you have equal length buswork from the caps going to a
common join point (assuming you're paralleling them).  I use copper
pipe for buswork: it's round so it doesn't have edges for corona, and
for fast pulses, skin effect means that the middle of conductor isn't
used anyway.  Especially since copper has gotten so expensive!

If I were building something like this today, I'd seriously look into
using aluminum.  For a given size and weight it's a LOT cheaper, so
you can make up for the 60% higher resistivity with much lower inductance.