Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch, (fwd)

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:03:41 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV   switch,
      (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

You can use smaller (1" diameter) copper pipe for easier construction,
lower cost, and sufficient corona suppression at ~40 kV. Aluminum
conductors can also be used, but you'll need to do some joint
preparation beforehand to insure joints capable of handling 100+ kA
currents. Carefully sand or brush the areas to be joined, and
immediately apply an antioxidant joint compound (such as Burndy Penetrox
A or A13 or Harger NO-OX-ID or HAAJC1/2). This should result in minimal
buildup of aluminum oxide on mating surfaces prior to joining. Conical
(Belleville) washers are also suggested to prevent loosening over time,
since aluminum may cold flow under compression.