Exploding wire (fwd)

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:17:48 -0800
From: Jim Mora <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Exploding wire

Hello All,

I just bought 1400ft of .008, 32AWG piano wire. My Capacitor charge will be
14.3uf @ 40KV, I could do up to 50KV but the history of the Geek Mighty Caps
is unknown. How many feet can I blow of this wire? Surely this would be more
spectacular then a copper wire. Am I in the right ballpark for gauge? I
would like to reach 8 feet ~ 2.5 Meters. The caps are rated at near 9KJ at
full charge.

Thanks,

Jim Mora

The shot from Downunder of an "iron" wire blow was wild! I'll start assembly
of the discharge apparatus after I get done batting down the hatches as our
rains approach soon; and, I work mostly outside since my one car garage is
full!