off topic, of interest to HV enthusiasts: antique x-ray machine for sale, maybe free (fwd)

Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:42:04 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: the _old_ DMSC list <Den_Madscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
     High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: off topic,
     of interest to HV enthusiasts: antique x-ray machine for sale, maybe free

I find I must reluctantly rid myself of my antique x-ray machine:
http://www.owlhouse.com/images/mad_sci/picker_garage_web.jpg";
target="_new">

It dates from the WW-2 era.  I haven't really tried to date it more
precisely than that yet.  It is an Army Field Hospital x-ray unit and
was built by the Picker X-Ray Corporation, which I believe was the
first company to make commercial medical x-ray equipment.  Picker was
a pioneer in the industry.  What remains of Picker is now a
subsidiary of Marconi.  A complete history of the company may be
found here:
http://tinyurl.com/3ahrsf
Note that illustration #12 depicts the model of machine I have.

The machine is in working order (!) - I have actually made
radiographs with it.

It is portable, on wheels, and breaks down into several parts for
transportation.

For documentation, I have:

* Army Technical Manual 8-632, X-Ray Field Unit, Machine, Chassis &
Table (this is the army operating & maintenance manual for this exact
unit)

* Army Technical Manual 9-275, Military Roentgenology, Jan. 26, 1942.

* a high quality laser print of the above-linked PDF

(my thanks to Mike Bakula for obtaining the above documentation for
me from the University of Illinois)

The transformer is rated for 100kv and 90mA max, however, the control
panel suggests lower limits.  The unit runs off of ordinary 120VAC
and has a standard 3-prong plug on it.  However, operating it near
the system limits requires a dedicated 30A circuit.  The radiographs
I made were done with the machine running on a 20A circuit.

The HV transformer has been tested negative for PCB's by me
personally using an OSHA & EPA approved commercial PCB test kit.
(Indicating that the total chlorinated substances, including PCBs or
any other chlorinated compounds are below 50ppm, the EPA safety limit
for PCBs).

I suppose you could junk the entire x-ray assembly and make the HV
transformer into the most bad-ass <a href="http://
www.electricstuff.co.uk/jacobs.html" target="_new">Jacob's Ladder</a>
ever seen.  I considered doing this myself.  You could also kill
yourself if you make a mistake.

Transportation and packing will be the recipient's responsibility.
If you come to my house in Denver Colorado, I will help you load it.
A small pick up truck or van is adequate and two reasonable strong
adults can lift the heaviest parts.  I will NOT crate or ship it,
although if you wish to make your own crating and shipping
arrangements with a third party, we might be able to work something
out.  I would guess the total machine weight after assembly is a few
hundred pounds.

While I MIGHT be convinced to give this thing away for free, the
recipient or purchaser will be chosen by me in the following order of
preference:

1. Someone who can convince me that their intent is to preserve (or
even restore) the machine in its present form as a military / medical
antique.  If I don't know you from Adam, you are going to have show
me other items in your collection or otherwise convince me that
you're not going to simply re-sell it for profit or cannibalize it
for parts.

2. Someone in the high voltage / Tesla / mad scientist community (who
can show their previous accomplishments / projects) who wants it for
parts / projects.

3. Anyone who wishes no such restrictions and wishes to resell it or
do who-knows-what.

Within each category above, if there are multiple applicants, those
offering more (or any) money will be considered over those who can't
afford to pay as much (or nothing).

X-rays and high voltage equipment are dangerous!  The selected
recipient will be required to sign a liability / damage waiver and
hold-harmless agreement.

I don't think I want to deal with putting this thing on eBay.  If I
get no takers who meet my requirements, I will probably take it to a
scrap yard.  That would be sad.

PS: despite today's date, this is not any sort of "April Fools" post.

sincerely,
  - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux