Re: Green laser pointers (fwd)

Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:22:41 -0400
From: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Green laser pointers (fwd)

Pete,

Lasers work when electrons fall from an energized orbital state to a
lower energy state.  The change in energy determines the energy of the
radiated photon, and, as Mike indicated, the color, according to the
frequency of the radiated photon.

The particular energy levels involved are characteristic of the excited
element in the laser.  There are a finite number of elements or exotic
compounds to start with, and only select subset of those have suitable
chemical, mechanical, optical and photoelectric properties suitable for
laser construction.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong or incomplete), the green lasers
start with a high powered invisible infrared laser source which passes
through a frequency doubling crystal.  The doubling crystal has the very
unusual property of absorbing light at a low frequency and reemitting it
at double the frequency, or half the wavelength, of the incoming light.
This is contrary to the common property of many phosphors which absorb
light of one wavelength and then re-radiate it at a longer (lower
frequency) wavelength, while dissipating the difference in energy as heat.

It just happens that the properties of current gallium indium arsenide
(or whatever is the current highest power laser chips are made of) make
them extremely efficient at emitting infrared light at about 1000 nm,
which, when doubled in frequency, turns out to be green light at about
500 nm wavelength.  If the exciting wavelength were longer, and the
doubling crystal still happens to work efficiently at that wavelength,
then you could theoretically get yellow, orange, or red light out of a
DPSS laser.

Dave