Re: THERABAND VDG BELTS?????????/ (fwd)

Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:21:24 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: THERABAND VDG BELTS?????????/ (fwd)

On May 23, 2007, at 7:53 PM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

There are some tricks to "gluing" natural latex. (which is what
Therabands are made from)

Use Bestest White Rubber Cement, available at art supply stores.
Some other brands of rubber cement are not made from latex, and will
not work.  While you're at the art supply store, get some "Bestine
Thinner" (because you will want to thin the cement with of thinner to
glue of anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1) and an "ink brayer" with a 1" wide
hard nylon roller.

For a belt on a VDG, you might get better luck if you make your seam
diagonal rather than straight across the belt.

Now, the right way to glue latex is actually to make a solvent weld.
You do this by slightly dissolving the two surfaces, and using a glue
that is itself made from latex dissolved in a solvent.

First, prep the surfaces to be glued by cleaning thoroughly with 90%
isopropyl alcohol, drying, then rubbing with the thinner.  This will
make the latex curl like mad.  To avoid that, you can put several
layers of masking tape on the back side before starting.  You can
peel them off later after the seam has cured.

After prepping both surfaces to be glued, paint the thinnest layer
possible thinned-out cement onto each surface.  Do not join.  Let
them sit and dry for at least three minutes or even longer - you want
the smell of the heptane solvent (did I mention you should be doing
this in a well-ventilated space?  NO SMOKING!) to have nearly
disappeared before you join them.

Join the pieces carefully - once they touch, they aren't coming apart
without being wrecked!  If bubbles form, simply pop them with a
straight pin or sewing needle.  Now roll the joint hard several times
with your roller.

Do not use for at least 24 hours.

  - Gomez

PS: the reason black doesn't work is that it is full of carbon black,
which makes it slightly conductive!

I'm so good I don't have to brag.