Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:09:52 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

Hi Chris,
> Sounds a lot like this:
> www.physorg.com/news100445957.html  (resonant circuit coupling)
>
> although I would certainly not call it "new" and do not understand their
> introduction of "evanescent" waves. The calculations of Q seems way off to
> me: reactance of the coils and resistive load of the lamp resulting in a Q
> of around 1000? (series or parallel tank circuit) I have tried something
> similar and do not get anything like their results.
> -Dave D."

	That work is trivial trash but the Q's sound reasonable enough.  Certainly one can build coils with equal or higher Q at the 10 MHz frequency they used - just takes large size and large conductors.  Remember that their coils were 2 feet in diameter - expected unloaded Q would be much greater than 1000 - I think they expected 2500 and that sounds OK.  As for the loaded Q, that is adjusted by varying the coupling of the load to the resonant circuit.

Ed