[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety FAQ is here --

At 08:25 PM 8/11/96 +0000, you wrote:
>From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comSun Aug 11 12:44:39 1996
>Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 16:51:31 GMT
>From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Safety FAQ is here --
>
>While surfing the web for info on a lightning research station near my
>"home" town, I found this interesting page on current and the human
>body at:
>
>http://www.lightningsafety-dot-com/current.html
>
>I posted it because of the section on frequency.
>
>	jim
>

>------------------------begin include ---------------------------
>CURRENT AND THE HUMAN BODY
>
>When the human body becomes a part of an electrical circuit, it then
>follows Ohm's Law. Current flow through the body,
>resulting in severe shock, depends on several factors. The amount of
>current the human body can withstand has been
>determined and verified by many tests. A voltage difference across the
>human body is necessary for shock. It is the resultant
>current flow that does the damage. Human-body response to alternating
>current flow can be classified into three levels, i.e.,
>perception current, let-go current, and lethal current. Body
>resistance, voltage, amplitude, and frequency also enter into the
>severity of the shock.

<SNIP>
>     Shock current that greatly exceeds the level necessary to produce
>fibrillation may completely stop the heart
>     action, seriously burn body tissues, damage the nervous system,
>and stop breathing--all potentially lethal
>     conditions.
>
>     In order to understand the preceeding better, assume the
>resistance of the human body to be 700 ohms and a
>     percentage distribution of resistance as shown in Biegelmeier and
>Rotter (1971).
>
>___________________________________
>Note: Thanks to Gil Sharick and abc Teletraining, Geneva, IL for the
>original authorship of this article. [Sharick, G: 1981,
>Grounding and Bonding, abc Teletraining, Geneva, IL. Tel.
>708-879-9000.]
>

>                         Web page created and maintained by Adgrafix
>)Copyright 1995. All rights reserved.

To All -

As stated above an electric shock can cause a person to stop breathing by
contracting the lung muscles. The important thing to remember is that a
person who is unconcious and not breathing after receiving an electric shock
can somtimes be revived by CPR if immediate action is taken. Disconnect the
electric circuit. Carefully remove the victim from contact with wires and
start the CPR. Do not wait for medical help.

John Couture