[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Tesla Coil

To First Coilers -

A few years ago I built several Tesla coils including the coil that I
consider to be the ideal first coil for beginners. This coil is also ideal
for researchers looking for a small coil with which to perform experiments.
I have used it as a magnifier. It even produces fireballs, see below. This
coil is a standard classical Tesla coil and does not have any cantankerous
problems. It will produce a good spark with minimum adjustments on first
fire up.

The "First Coil" is easy to build, efficient, and produces over 12 inch
sparks (photo available). The streamers it produces are longer. The coil
uses two 7500, 30 ma neon transformers connected in parallel. I tried it
with a 12 KV 60 ma neon and it prduced 24 inch streamers for a very short
time before it burned up so I do not recommend that you use a larger neon.

I would be willing to send plans and building details, including a computer
printout, of this coil free to any Tesla List coiler sending me a self
addressed, stamped evvelope. Note that if you want to change the primary
capacitor, coil radius, toroid, wire size, etc. from what is shown on the
plans, the JHCTES program will do all of the necessary tedious calculations
to keep the system in tune. It will then show you the revised combinations
of parameters for your new coil setup.

I used this "First Coil" and many other coils for testing various parameters
to develop the JHCTES computer program. To my knowledge this is the only
T.C. program that is automatic tuning. In other words, when one of the
parameters is changed all of the other parameters involved with the change
are automatically recalculated to keep the system in tune. This means that
the program will not accept a combination of parameters that are not in tune
(kickouts? have been eliminated in the new Version 2.2). Many coilers have
said that this program is the best T.C. program presently available.

If you would like a 4x6 color photo of this coil in action, enclose one
dollar (includes cost of extra stamp needed). The photo is unique in that
there appears to be a fireball created by the coil in the photo. If this is
a true fireball it is the only one photographed that I know of using such a
small coil. The fireball is floating above the toroid and appears to be
three dimensional. I have examined the film and there are no apparent
defects on the film that would cause this type of image. There has been
considerable speculation as to what caused this fireball because it is
unlike the fireballs that the Corums discuss in their book.

John H. Couture
10823 New Salem Point
San Diego, Ca 92126