[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: help

Tesla List wrote:

> >From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-orgWed Jul 31 21:47:56 1996
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 23:49:00 GMT
> From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: help
>
> Quoting ZODAPOP-at-aol-dot-com:
>

> > Now drill a small hole each end of the PVC about 1/2 inch
> > from the top and bottom. Shove one end of the wire thru one
> > of the holes and leave about a foot of wire on the inside.
> > Take some tape and put it over the wire so you don't pull it
> > out like some dummy I know did (me). Now comes the winding...
>
> Don't ever make this mistake. I learned the hard way. Drilling
> holes and introducing wire inside of the coil form are lethal
> errors. While the coil may function fine with a CW or solid state
> driver system, when properly excited in a Tesla tank circuit the
> coil will fail internally. Now with this "candlestick" design
> advocated by the author you will never be able to properly couple
> the coil to a Tesla tank circuit (due to the high aspect ratio)
> IF you could if would short out through the inside of the tube.
>

> Richard Quick

Richard -

  Couldn't help but jump in here a sec -

  Every coil I have built using the 'pass-the-wire-through-the-hole
technique seems to work fine!!! One coil has a winding length of only
13", and would toss out 14" sparks religiously. Even my large 3.5KVa
coil uses this method...it's secondary has a winding length of about
25", and throws a really hot 65" spark!!!!! (I did cheat a bit with
this coil though by placing two plexiglass insulator disks internally
on the secondary coil form. (10" dia, grey PVC ducting)

  Try putting a blob of RTV around the wire on the inside of the
coil form.

  The thing to remember is that in a TC secondary, you get a gradual
voltage rise - actually it's more logarithmic, but that's another area
of discussion. Since you have a voltage gradient, an arc is discouraged
from forming. Besides, there's little difference between arcing from
the top winding to the bottom on the inside OR outside.

- Brent