[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Liquid-Dielectric Capacitor

At 08:03 PM 2/27/96 +0700, Wesley Brzozowski wrote:

>Tim Chandler <tchand-at-slip-dot-net> wrote:
>> Actually you are correct the liquid dielectric used was actually NH4 and H2O
>> with a related purity of 98.8%, which some call ammonium hydroxide
(NH4OH).
>Is that purity possible in NH4OH? I'd been under the impression that anything
>near that concentration would decompose into ammonia and water, and that
>a large amount of that ammonia would exit promptly.

The purity rating is defined as follows:  the solution in its entire, contains
98.8% of NH4 (ammonium) and H2O (water) in an unspecified mixture ratio, the
remainder 1.2% are contaminates (read not NH4 or H2O), and are misc. unknown
chemicals and compounds.  The purity does not give any information as to mixture
ratio (how much NH4 to how much H2O).  That information would be contained in
the molar concentrations, which are not known (although I running test to find
out exactly).

>> the solution specifications.  All the container had on it was a 6 digit
>>number, NH4, and the words "purity 98.8%/DI".  Now that I think about it this
>>solution might be something different than the substance I had originally
>>thought it. I will see what information I can dig up on the 6 digit number at
>>work.

>Here's a good test; it should smell overwhelmingly of ammonia when you open
the
>container. I was a little surprised in your earlier description that you
didn't
>mention using such stuff outdoors or under a lab hood. It would seem dangerous
>to have such stuff open and indoors. (I've got a jug of 28% NH4OH that I'm
>terrified of opening -or dropping!!- indoors.)

Ammonium or Ammonia are not that bad.  I am used to smelling HCl vapors for 5
hours at a time, so the ammonium is nothing.  The concentration is quite high
in the solution I have but it is tolerable and by no means dangerous.  Although
if you get sick around it, then do not sniff it.  I have worked with ammonia
substances for quite awhile know (almost 7 years) and have never had any adverse
effects from ammonia vapors.

>Another test is that it should leave essentially no residue when it
evaporates.
>Could the marking on the label possibly mean that it contains 98.8% deionized
>water? I've seen the terms DI or DI water used a lot for that in various
>manufacturing processes.
>
>Wes B.

Well the solution does readily evaporate.  On the initial test I lost about 15mL
due to evaporation in about 2.5 hours. (note:  the substance was constantly
being circulated, thus adding to the effect).  As for DI, in chemistry means
simply "de-ionized".  Wheather it be H20, NH4, or the solution as a whole.  That
is still an unknown.  I talked to soomeone at work and they said they get into
the computer and find out what exactly it was.

This is getting of the tesla list topic...:(

Tim

| Timothy A. Chandler                ||   M.S.Physics/B.S.Chemistry     |
| NASA-Langley Research Center       ||   George Mason University       |
| Department of Energy               ||   Department of Physics         |
| FRT/Alpha - NASALaRC/DOE JRD/OPM   ||   Department of Chemistry       |
| CHOCT FR Designation #82749156/MG09||   OPC-EFC                       |
|                 Private Email Address:  tchand-at-slip-dot-net               |