[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: acrylic glueing

I had mentioned that on my first attempt to wind an acrylic secondary, I wiped
the surface of the form with isopropyl alcohol to clean off any oil and dust.
Within 3 minutes, a network of cracks formed, grew progressively larger, and
the form fell in pieces from the winding jig.  The next time I used a mild
ammonia-based window cleaner and all went well.

Another list participant who used alcohol on acrylic windshields had a similar
experience.

For gluing on my acrylic end caps, I used 30 minute epoxy with excellent
results.

Beware alcohol and acrylic!

Don Froula
dfroula-at-interaccess-dot-com