[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996 09:01:39 +0700, you wrote:

>Bert and coilers,
>
>>One of the problems that you can run into with PVC pipe and PVC end caps is
>>that if you try to use a good vacuum pump, you can suck air THROUGH the PVC
>>end caps!
[snip]
>Suggestions on inexpensive vacum chamber designs or improvisations??
>Ime thinking along the lines of an epoxy sealed 8" PVC pipe the overall
>design much the same as a Hull caps' case. Any ideas for constructing
>a vacum gasketed removable top plate/observation window?
>
>Marcus

This is a classic vacuum chamber problem. The brass casting (etc)
leaks! The solution is to paint it. The paint ( shellac in old texts)
fills the pours of the chamber/casting and seal it. So, build your cap
housing, paint it. put a top cap on it, pull a vacuum, add oil, wait.
remove vacuum, connect up lead wires to the final top hat and seal for
moisture infiltration, you don't need a vacuum here.

Oh, don't forget to use a thick enough end cap. I used 1/4"
plexiglass. I bowed in about 1/4" before it cracked!
The cap I'll build tomorrow will have 3/16" plexiglass end caps. I
hope they won't break.

		jim