[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coils (fwd)

Hi Malcolm,

As regards the ion cloud, freq shifting, etc, I only want to know one
thing.  What is the "critical minimum" break rate.  We can see
obviously that a short braat produces short sparks, and obviously, the
ion path needs to hang out across interrupter breaks.  How many pulses
are needed to achieve full length discharge?  What is the SLOWEST break
rate I can use and still have this ion path hang out?  I ask this
because it becomes obvious (sorry about all the obviousness) that for
maximum DISPLAY, we should hit the coil the least number of times per
second possible with the biggest wallup possible.  And you can get
bigger wallups if you put more time between them.

This is my theory and reason I went to a DC supply on the big coil.  By
going DC, I unlock myself from the line frequency and am free to
explore the forbidden low pulse rates below 120Hz.

I have seen Bill Wysock run a 100KHz coil at 120bps and get very nice
results (about 15 feet at 10KW).  I have also seen coils running with
break rates as high as 800bps and also do nicely.

As far as tuning goes, just play the in-a-turn/out-a-turn (or
up-a-turn/down-a-turn) game for maximum.  Whatever is coming into play
to determine tuning gets tuned in.  No big wup.

Happy happy joy joy to you and yours,
--Mark