[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rochester (belated) transmission line...

Hi Dave and everyone,
                      On Tx lines you wrote...

>     I have not reread any of my Corum lately.  If sqrt (l/c) is based
>     on the usual formula for a transmission line, there is a gotcha.
>
>     sqrt(L/C) is a SIMPLIFIED VERSION.  some references do not point
>     this out.  The full form (from memory) is more like SQRT ((L+R)/(C+g)).
>     R is the series reistance (per unit length in tx line work).
>     g is a 'conductance' related to resistive leakage thru the insulation.
>
>     For the USUAL range of RF intrest (say 500KHz to 500GHz) the R is so
>     small relative to the Xl and the g is so 'small' realtive to XC that
>     the simplified form works out.  (Yeah.  I switched for L to XL.  Bear
>     with me...).  AS THE FREQS GO DOWN, THE SIMPLIFIED FORM BECOMES
>     PROGRESSIVELY LESS ACCURATE.  (I had cause some years ago, to
>     xperimentally verify this.  got paid for it.  NOT new knowledge,
>     tho.  First recognized at the turn of the century....)

I realize there are simplifications in the L/C thing. Interestingly,
Schelkunoff doesn't take the distributed parameters into account
either. It simply derives a value from the geometry of the system.
In general, the answers are comparable in a lot of cases but I do
wonder about using formulae that are right in only some situations.
It'd be nice if one or other was applicable to the lot.

Malcolm