[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor test results

>Maybe the neon transformers with the cap and rotary across them as you
>suggest. I just don't like the idea of the pig alone - in fact I don't
>really like the idea of running the cap with no effective load. The
>reversals are really going to test it. Some resistance in series
>with the noen secondaries I think would be a good idea to minimize
>spurious resonances that seem to occur with neons so you don't
>overvolt the cap. I wonder if this thing's heat related? Were the cap
>terminals warm at all after your runs? I admit this one's bugging me
>heaps. Perhaps just run your system normally (normal run times) until
>it fails, then check for heating at the terminals. You could also
>check before running that the cap is normal (use an ohmmeter on a
>high resistance range to check for charge current), then same again
>when things fall over.
>     I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty. I just hope the same
>thing doesn't happen to me at some stage. It really does sound like
>it's going open circuit. Hmmmm....
>
>Regards,
>Malcolm

Malcom,

I don't think it is heat related.  I have never noticed the capacitor
terminals getting hot - warm maybe.  It isn't something that works ok
sometimes and then quits.  Right now, it is in the failed mode all the time.
 Maybe I will set up a bench test using one or two neon transformers, the
small variacs, the normal high voltage filter board, static gap and a length
of 12 guage wire to simulate the primary.

Ed Sonderman