[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help w/ Chokes

>>From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comWed May 29 07:46:10 1996
>Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 05:05:13 GMT
>From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Help w/ Chokes

>On Tue, 28 May 1996 22:29:29 -0600, Tesla List
><tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:

>>>From JParisse-at-DDLabs-dot-comTue May 28 21:44:25 1996
>> I know there has been a lot of discussion
>>regarding choke coils and I'm wondering if someone could guide me in
>>building a pair of appropriate chokes. I have limited space for the
>>chokes. If I use air core chokes, I can only accommodate a 2 dia. x 8
>>coil form.
>RFI chokes between the TC primary and the HV secondary?

>RWS has had good luck with 120mH of air core inductors (until this
>weekend)

That's 140 mH, and yes, I've had very good results with these so far
in limited testing.  My faultless record (absolutely no dry transformer losses)
is with the air core units in the 240-320mH range.

<big snip>
>	Regards,

>	jim

I wouldn't blame my transformer loss to the air core chokes used in
this situation.  The dry transformer that blew, blew up when I was pushing
the AC input voltage higher than its 120 volt rating.  This was a flakey
transformer anyway, I've seen corona in the gap between the winding bundle and
the inside of the core metal in the dark before,  it probably would have gone
just running into a pure resistive load.

Happy coiling (dammit)!, rwstephens