[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

Richard,
         You wrote....

> > How about setting up a grounded discharge rod for the secondary and
> > measuring current both in the rod and at the base of the resonator
> > simultaneously? A bridge configuration might show up any differences.
> > The basic idea is to find out whether the curents are equal so we
> > might have a basis for knowing whether the current measurement at
> > the base truly reflects spark current (IMO it should) and thereby
> > at least set one variable in concrete for further measurement. The
> > reason I throw this open is that I just don't have the gear to do it
> > myself.
> >
> > Malcolm
>

> Malcom,
>
> This is a fairly good idea, but wouldn't come close to the efficiency I
> seek.  (Spark disappates a lot of heat energy in air to reach the rod)
> Putting the rod too close in order to reduce the air path would again,
> skew the results.   Nonetheless, it would be a real measurement that
> could be made.  A custom wound very large Rogowski coil would be
> required.  Whose scope we gonna' hook to it?  Yours?

I have restored a valve scope for this purpose, but I guess I'm a
little too far away to bring it over. Very well, I shall devise
something myself. Fair comment. Would you please outline the detail
of Rogowski coil construction - I'll check some references today but
would appreciate the info anyway.

Malcolm