[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ground rods

Tesla List wrote:

> >From storey-at-stic-dot-netSun Sep 29 21:55:09 1996
> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 01:12:10 -0700
> From: Storey Clamp <storey-at-stic-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Ground rods

> When I was getting ready to install my ground rods, I couldn't seem to
> find any volunteers willing to hold the rod steady while I swung a big
> hammer,so I went to the local rental yard and rented a medium sized
> electric jack hammer. I removed the large chisel tip, and stuck in the
> ground rod, and it was easy going for about three feet when I hit solid

This is definitely the way to go.  I just planted three 8 foot copper
clad steel rods in the back yard with a Bosch chipping hammer that I
rented locally.  It took about 6 minutes total.  Ask for a ground rod
driving bit to go with it.  I can not use tubing here because there is a
dense layer of something about 4 feet down.  The rods went in no problem.
 A ladder is necessary to get above the height of the rod to start it.  I
like the low angle star idea.  I will keep that in mind.
Oh yeah, it was about 18 bucks to rent the hammer for 2 hours minimum.

Mark