[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comSat Oct 12 12:57:39 1996
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:22:08 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Oct  9 22:12:30 1996
> > Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 12:39:12 -0700
> > From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
> >
> > Tesla List wrote:
> > > Man this thing is gettin' big!  I just snipped 11 pounds of foregoing
> > text!!!!!

> Richard and all
>
> OK, I hear you but..... I think they are called Oudin coils where the
> primary is the first few lower turns of the secondary. Suppose we use
> your super fast quenching gap and a secondary where the lower 5 to 20
> turns are the primary. Let us now dump into the "primary" some great big
> pulses and immediately quench the gap. we now have a bunch of energy in
> a two coil system with no place to go but "UP". I think we now have a
> 100% coupled system and a lot of energy in it. Why do we need resonance
> to get a transformation of this energy into the secondary...it's already
> there!
>
> Thanks for your insight.
>
> Skip

Skip,

No tuning is ever required for transformation!  Niether is resonance!
Transformation is just the natural magnetic induction between two coils.
 Resonant rise, in a resonator, never relies on tranformation but instead
on coupled, resonant, magnetic energy.  These are two different animals.

The Oudin coil systems can never couple very tight on a normal small
diameter (under 8 feet diameter) coil.  100% coupling is possible only in
theory and never in fact.  At RF frequencies and with air cores,
only about K=.7 or so is even theoretically possible!!  With high voltage
concerns insulation, etc, in smaller coils, it is practically impossible
to achieve K=.5!!!  Just because a primary and secondary are on the same
form, doesn't mean they are necessarily tighly coupled!  With air cores,
they are almost never tightly coupled.

The tighest air core coupling would occur if the primary was wound
directly on top of, and directly in contact with the secondary winding!
This would still not even approach 100% coupling.

Richard Hull, TCBOR