[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwrRE: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netSat Oct 12 12:59:21 1996
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 05:44:46 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwrRE: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwr
>
> At 04:58 AM 10/10/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >From lod-at-pacbell-dot-netWed Oct  9 22:54:40 1996
> >Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 20:28:36 +0000
> >From: GE Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwrRE: Arc length vs pwrRe:
> Arc length vs pwr
> >
> >Richard Hull wrote:
> >
> >> Example:  1000 watts input energy
> >> watts remaining:
> >>                                 best case       worst case
> >> Transformation                  980 watts       960 watts
> >> ballasting                      882             864
> >> Tank/switching                  794             648
> >> coupling                        119             97
> >> secondary                       113             92
> >

> >Interesting figures.  I'm not sure that I'm reading this chart correctly.
> >Is this chart stating that over half of the total losses occur in the
> >primary and spark gap (794-119 = 675 Watts, best case)?
> >

> Richard -
>
> Are you saying your coil that produces a 5 inch spark with 17 watts (41
> watts per foot of spark) is about the same efficiency as a typical coil that
> uses 500 watts per foot of spark or your nemesis that uses about 1200 watts
> per foot of spark?
>
> Jack

Jack,

No!  I'm just saying that it is DIFFERENT!  I have always maintained that
smaller systems are much more efficient than larger ones, but only so far
as spark is concerned per watt of energy.   Spark length has no linear
linkage to energy or power conversion of efficiency!  There are three or
more characteristic outputs which can be used to determine efficiency of
a Tesla coil!  It could be looked at in terms of spark length output
(show and flash), a space heater, an RF generator,  an Ozone engine, etc.

Different systems in different configurations at different power levels
will be more or less efficient in the above outputs.  The output
efficiency in any one area will rarely smoothly track the input power
even with a fixed design configuration!

Richard Hull, TCBOR
Different system configurations have different characters.