[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50%

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Oct 30 21:53:24 1996
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:28:32 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 50%
>
> Hi everyone,
>                 I've been following a number of exceedingly
> interesting posts and threads on a number of topics and decided to
> post a general one to comment on each.
>

>           I noted with interest Richard's post on the charging by
> induction of the electroscope but then he mentioned charge leaking
> off the electroscope metal. Perhaps there is a minor inconsistency
> there?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

A conductor, be it metal or moisture, is the only electrodynamic way to
dispose of charge. (forcing it to do work)  Moisture in the air is
conductive.  The conductive moisture links the charged air to ground
electrodynamically and slowly the charge is leaked from the surrounding
dielectric and the leaves reacting to the coulombic forces concentrated
at the metal/dielectric junction in the metallic electroscope, drop.  The
term "leaked off" the metal was the result of mindless training of old.
And now a useless expression.  Nonetheless, we are still wont to use all
the wrongful expressions based both on past teaching and intuition.

I fear that on occassion, I will undoubtedly use wrong terms or
phraseology based on past poor teaching concepts.

R. Hull  TCBOR